Sigvart Hofland, former composer and professor at Luther College, was born in Bergen, Norway in 1889 and emigrated to the United States in his late teenage years. His passion and love for music prompted him to pursue formal training in Chicago at the Columbia School of Music under a four-year scholarship. In 1942, Hofland was awarded his doctor of music degree from the Bugolowski College of Music in Chicago. Additionally, Hofland performed as a violinist for the Chicago Civic Orchestra, Philharmonic Orchestra, and the Chicago Scandinavian String Quartet. After receiving his doctorate degree in 1942, Hofland was hired at Luther College to teach, compose, arrange, and direct both instrumental and vocal groups. When Dr. Carlo A. Sperati retired in 1943, Hofland became director of the Luther College Concert Band. He served as band director until 1947, and in the years following continued teaching and devoting time to composing and arranging music. Throughout his years at Luther College, twenty of his compositions were published by the Norwegian Composers Publication Association in Oslo, Norway.
Sigvart Hofland and his wife Agatha (nee Widemark) had two children, Sigvart, Jr. and Lorraine (Mrs. Wright Hartung). The musician and composer passed away on March 13, 1956. He was buried in the Decorah Lutheran Cemetery.
Biographical information was provided by the Lime Springs Herald vol. 72, no.12 published on March 22, 1956 and the Norwegian-American Museum Newsletter vol. 19, no.4 published in winter 1984-1985.