Running, Orville (1910-2012) | Nordic
Orville Magnus Running was born September 19, 1910, in Veblen, South Dakota, to the Rev. Alfred Running and Julia Sophia Olson Running. His father was a Lutheran pastor and his mother a teacher and musician. While his parents were born in America, the family had ties to the Trondheim and Nordfjord areas in Norway. After living in Montana and Idaho, the family moved to Zumbrota, Minnesota, in 1925 where he graduated from high school before earning a bachelor's degree from St. Olaf College (Northfield, MN) in 1931. He graduated from Luther Theological Seminary in 1934 and was ordained in July of that year.
Running served as pastor of Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Tacoma, Washington, and Christ Lutheran Church in Chicago, where he renewed his interest in art by attending night classes at the Chicago Art Institute. In 1946 he signed a contract with Luther College to "instruct in art and religious education," and for the next 30 years worked as head of the art department to build a viable art program at the college. The faculty senate voted to institute an art major at Luther in 1957. As part of his efforts to develop the art major, he expanded the faculty and equipment for the Art Department. Along with Dean Schwarz, former Art Department faculty member, he handcrafted 42 potter’s wheels using a design by master potter Marguerite Wildenhain. He also helped build easels for painting and tables for drawing. He oversaw construction of a kilnhouse and designed a press that allowed the College to offer classes in printmaking.
In 1950 he earned an M.F.A. degree from the State University of Iowa (now the University of Iowa, Iowa City) where he studied under James Lechay, Stuart Edie, and Mauricio Lasansky, among others. He returned to the Chicago Art Institute during the summer of 1956 to work with Briggs Dyer, and attended the Art Students League of New York during 1956-57 where he received instruction from Robert Beverly Hale, Louis Bouché, and Harry Sternberg. He also studied printmaking with Malcolm Myers at the University of Minnesota during the summer of 1957. On a semester-long sabbatical in 1972. he studied under portrait painter Jerry Farnsworth in Sarasota, FL.
Along with teaching and leading the Art Department at Luther College, he managed the Fine Arts Festivals, annual festivals for the arts at the College, which extended from 1957-1966. These festivals yielded 100 works of art which were added to the Fine Arts Collection. As an ordained Lutheran minister, he also taught courses in the Religion Department, delivered chapel talks, and preached in area churches. In 1976 he retired from full-time teaching, but for the next 10 years taught printmaking part-time at Luther College, where he continues to serve as professor emeritus of art and college artist. In 1987 Running was awarded an honorary doctorate degree from St. Olaf College. He was married to Marjorie Olney Running in 1934 for whom the Running Gallery was named, located in Loyalty Hall. They were the parents of four children (Marit; George; Marjorie; and, Kristi). Marjorie is a faculty member at Luther in French and Music. His second wife, Mildred, died in 1999. Running’s brother, Cyrus Running, the long-time chair of the Art Department at Concordia College in Moorhead, MN, also has several works in the Fine Arts Collection. Another brother, Paul D. Running, was on the Art Department faculty at Bowling Green State University and also has works in the Fine Arts Collection.